Hack/ Slash # 21
“Mind Killer part I”
Story: Tim Seeley; Art: Emily Stone; Colors: Mark Englert; Letters: Crank!; Art Direction: Sean K. Dove; Edits: Mike O’Sullivan; Published by DDP
This issue continues on from the “Closer” storyline, with the slasher-slayer Samhain saving Cassie Hack from the Society of the Black Lamp. This issue also reveals conclusively that Ashley Guthrie has been responsible for the behind-the-scenes nastiness of recent issues. After making sure Vlad and Georgia are notified of Cassie’s whereabouts, Samhain splits. When they pick her up, it’s off to Laurel, Montana, where the elderly psychic Muffy Jorowsky has been possessed by Ashley, who can manipulate others’ dreams. On the way there, Cassie is reconsidering her vow to retire from hunting slashers. Georgia and Cassie share an intimate moment that only makes Vlad feel even more jealous and alone than he has of late.
On the way to Montana, Cassie and co. encounter Gertrude Hall, a heavy metal groupie and apparently the only woman that Vlad has “had the sex with”. Cassie and Georgia get into a major fight with Gertrude because Gertrude won’t destroy a magickal guitar once wielded by Cassie’s past foe, the demonic metalhead Six Sixx. Cassie puts together that Ashley, working through Muffy, must be in league with Sixx. Vlad puts a stop to the skirmish as the police arrive.
Cassie, Georgia, Vlad, and Gertrude are in jail when a police car crashes through the jail. Inside is Muffy, totally possessed by Ashley, holding her husband and a cop at gunpoint. She seizes the guitar and clumsily bangs a few chords until Six Sixx emerges from an extradimensional portal. Guitar in hand and re-empowered, Six Sixx is loaded for bear until he himself is beseiged by strangeness…
There are two things I found amusing about this issue. One is a running gag in the issue where, on his computer, Chris Krank lists the allies of Hack/Slash Inc. His “Ally Stats” (my term) are pretty amusing. He lists “Ally Name”; “Primary Specialties”; and “Current Mood”. Cassie’s is particularly apt. Another amusing sequence is when Gertrude tells her story to Cassie and co. about her dream where the “Gods of Metal”, led by “Ozzy”, direct Gertrude to Laurel, Montana.
Tim Seeley’s “Lovebunny and Mr. Hell” I found unamusing as usual, however. The exact same creative team from last issue evince the exact same strengths here, but I’ll go ahead and sing their praises anyway. I’m eager to see what happens next – from Cassie’s decision to stay a slasher-slayer to the question of whether Vlad will ever “have the sex” again.
- Hack/ Slash # 20: “Closer part III” (comicsforge.com)
- Hack/ Slash # 18: “Closer part I” (comicsforge.com)
- Hack/ Slash # 19: “Closer part II” (comicsforge.com)
- Hack Slash Number 14 by Tim Seely (comicsforge.com)
- Hack/ Slash # 14: “Over the Rainbow” (comicsforge.com)
- Hack/Slash #31 (comicsforge.com)
- Hack Slash Vol. 1: First Cut (comicsforge.com)
- Hack/ Slash: Revenge of the Return Part 4 (comicsforge.com)
- Hack Slash Eva Monsters Ball Number 1 (comicsforge.com)
- Hack Slash Number 28 from Devils Due Publishing (comicsforge.com)
- Hack/ Slash # 21: “Mind Killer part I” (comicsforge.com)
- Hack/ Slash # 22: “Mind Killer part II” (comicsforge.com)